Article Licenses: CA, DL, LI, UK, US
Compliant content provided by Adviceon® Media for educational purposes only.
Segregated fund policies are unique insurance-related products with some guaranteed investment features that can benefit both your capital and income for years.
· Premiums are paid to the insurer for an insurance policy. These monies are allocated to segregated fund investment options.
· An investment manager then invests these premiums in the segregated fund. He invests in stocks, bonds or other assets, according to the fund’s stated investment objectives.
· Through the insurance policy, you can take advantage of unique benefits that can bring more certainty and flexibility to your financial strategies.
· Where a segregated fund invests in aggressive growth equities, there are some unique provisions that risk-averse investors may prefer. Often a portion of the capital invested may carry an agreement to be returned after the timing of maturity. Check the contract provisions which often include reinvesting options at certain junctures of time which also should be understood.
Guaranteed retirement capital and income
· Lifetime guarantee on your income Some policies offer some control over your retirement income by providing you an income for life. With a lifetime income benefit option, your income may not decrease regardless of how the segregated fund performs unless excess withdrawals are taken. This may give some protection against the risk of outliving your money, market volatility and inflation.
· Maturity guarantee on your capital Segregated fund policies provide some certainties to return a percentage of the premiums paid into the segregated fund (less a proportional amount of redemptions), depending on the product selected.
Make sure that you pay careful attention to the contract terms and time periods relating to any mention of a certainty regarding the return of a percentage of premiums paid. Go over this carefully with your advisor.
Publisher's Copyright & Legal Use Disclaimer Replication is prohibited beyond the use of this website. The publisher does not guarantee the accuracy and will not be held liable in any way for any error, or omission, or any financial decision or purchase or use of a financial product, including investment or insurance products, and suggest that a professional advisor's counsel is sought, especially with regard to Segregated Funds which have investment risks as noted in the Fund Disclaimer. All rights reserved by Adviceon®
Disclaimer The particulars contained herein were obtained from sources which we believe are reliable, but are not guaranteed by us and may be incomplete. This website is not deemed to be used as a solicitation in a jurisdiction where this representative is not registered. This content is not intended to provide specific personalized advice, including, without limitation, investment, insurance, financial, legal, accounting or tax advice; and any reference to facts and data provided are from various sources believed to be reliable, but we cannot guarantee they are complete or accurate; and it is intended primarily for Canadian residents only, and the information contained herein is subject to change without notice. References in this Web site to third party goods or services should not be regarded as an endorsement, offer or solicitation of these or any goods or services. Always consult an appropriate professional regarding your particular circumstances before making any financial decision.
Commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with segregated fund investments. Please read the fund summary information folder prospectus before investing. Segregated Funds may not be guaranteed, their market value changes daily and past performance is not indicative of future results. The publisher does not guarantee the accuracy and will not be held liable in any way for any error, or omission, or any financial decision. Talk to your advisor before making any financial decision. A description of the key features of the applicable individual variable annuity contract or segregated fund is contained in the Information Folder. Any amount that is allocated to a segregated fund is invested at the risk of the contract holder and may increase or decrease in value. Product features are subject to change.